In view of the purpose of the Company, its size and the extent of its international activities, the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen AG strives to take the following criteria into account in its composition:
- At least three members of the Supervisory Board should be persons who embody in particular the characteristic of internationality.
- Among the shareholder representatives, at least four members of the Supervisory Board should be persons who do not represent potential conflicts of interest, particularly those that could arise through a position as a consultant or member of the governing bodies of customers, suppliers, lenders, or other third parties.
- In addition, at least four of the shareholder representatives must be persons who are independent as defined by article 5.4.2 of the German Corporate Governance Code.
- At least three Supervisory Board members should be women, and at least two female members should represent the shareholders.
- In addition, proposals for elections should not normally include persons who will have reached the age of 70 by the time the election takes place.
The first four objectives have already been met. As a rule, individuals will also not be proposed for election to the Supervisory Board if they are 70 years old at the time of the election.